Thursday 25 November 2010

Garro: Oath of Moment by James Swallow. Read by Toby Longworth

Garro: Oath of Moment : James Swallow / Toby Longworth

“My name is Nathaniel Garro, and I am a Legion of One.”

In surviving the horrors on board the Eisenstein, Nathaniel Garro proved his courage and absolute loyalty to the Emperor. On his return to Terra, Garro is dispatched on a mission of even greater importance – a mission given to him by Malcador the Sigillite himself. He soon finds himself back amongst the stars and on the fields of battle, thrust into a warzone where the Ultramarines are purported to be battling a greenskin invasion. Once again Garro must fight for survival, but now he also fights to achieve a higher purpose...
~http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy/Garro-Oath-of-Moment.html

Now then, where to start? I guess; as this is an audiobook, I will be doing a few things differently to a novel review, just to let you know. This is the second audiobook that I’ve ever brought, the first being Throne of Lies and I can say that I found it interesting, very interesting, particularly since it focuses on Nathaniel Garro, whom many of you will remember from Swallow’s non-audiobook, also a Horus Heresy novel, called The Flight of the Eisenstein.

Although Oath of Moment seemed short compared to standard Black Library novels, being 70 minutes in length, it was a nice listen.

Oath of Moment is a fast-paced, action packed listen, and although it had a weak plot (come on, it’s basically Garro searching for somebody to help Malcador), it does feature the Battle of Calth, which was touched on in The First Heretic, and is of course the Battle between the Word Bearers and the Ultramarine loyalists.

However, there are a few bad things about this audiobook; an error that I noticed is the first one. It’s an error that not many new 40k fans will notice really, but it’s something the die-hard fluff followers will be annoyed about. Swallow mentioned Adeptus Astartes instead of Legio Astartes, which was what they were called during the Heresy. However, maybe I’m just nitpicking – after all, it’s something that I missed out on during the bit on the Black Library Website.

Another disappointing thing in this audiobook is that the scene changes & flashbacks are hard to spot, as one second I was with Garro and the Ultramarines, and the next I found myself with Garro and Malcador the Sigillite. 

Oh, and saying Malcador’s name reminds me of a key thing that happens in this audiobook that sheds some light on one the Imperium’s past (past from present 40k, not past from Horus Heresy).

Now, you’ll probably be wondering by now what the sound effects are and whether the voice acting is any good or not – well, let me tell you, it’s a lot better than the extract from Horus Rising: Abridged Audio, and the A Thousand Sons: Abridged Audio extract. Garro, and Olan, the lieutenant of the Ultramarines PDF at the start has been done very well. Toby Longworth, who is the reader, manages to make each person’s voice fit their description.

Also, if you haven’t read The Flight of the Eisenstein, Swallow explains a rough outline of what happens in this audiobook, but I would still recommend you get the novel first.

Oh yes, a disappointing part is that we don’t find out what happens to the Rembrancers (not sure if this is spelt right or not, could someone please check for me?) and the other Marines, including Iacton Qruze, who joined Garro on the Eisenstein, and I found this annoying as I wanted to know what happened to the people who accompanied him.   

And on that bombshell, I will leave you with two final bits, ones that you'll all be familiar with if you've read my reviews in the past.

Rating: 7/10

Should you buy this book? Well, if you’re a fan of Garro or the audio Horus Heresy books , or simply want to hear Ultramarines getting cut down by Word Bearers, or see Word Bearers in action – then this is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment