Saturday 27 November 2010

The Emperor's Finest: Sandy Mitchel

The Emperor’s Finest: Sandy Mitchell
A Ciaphas Cain Novel

Commissar Cain is called to duty once more, saving a governor’s daughter from a planet over-run by rebels. The uprising hides something far more sinister however – Genestealer hybrids! The search for the source of the alien threat leads Cain to a drifting space hulk – a far safer place than beside the obsessed governor’s daughter. But when the Reclaimer Space Marines suffer devastating losses at the hands of the Great Devourer, Cain and his trusty aide Jurgen must go it alone. With the tyranids waking and a group of stow away orks on the loose, there are no safe places to run or hide, and Cain must use all his ingenuity and cunning to escape the space hulk alive.
~http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Ciaphas-Cain/Emperors-Finest-The.html

Now then, Having not read the two Omnibuses that come before The Emperor’s Finest, I expected to not understand what was going on much, after all, this is the seventh book in the series, however, this was not the case. Sandy Mitchell, using the notes at the bottom of the page explains any previous encounters that Cain brings up that a new reader would miss, allowing me to keep moving along quickly.

However, one thing that did hold me back was that every time I found a note on something, I was drawn to the bottom of the page and distracted from my course of reading. And this happened on a lot of the pages.

Anyway, moving on, despite this, I enjoyed The Emperor’s Finest. It was a funny, entertaining read that proved not all Commissars are as ruthless as they look. And, It also gave an insight into one of the lesser known Space Marine chapters, the Reclaimers, however it didn’t give that much of a depth into the Chapter, unfortunately – it was more focused on Cain getting in and out of trouble.

Which he does, a lot. A good side of this book was that it was funny, and more light hearted than the rest of the 40k novels, which was a welcome break from the grim-dark Dead Men Walking Death Korps of Krieg novel which I enjoyed.

The Emperor’s Finest was also my second glance into a first person Black-Library written book, the first being Xenos, the first instalment in the Eisenhorn trilogy. I read it about a month ago and never got around to reading the other two parts in the omnibus, (sigh), and I found that I personally thought that Xenos was a better read.

In future, I will probably have to pick up the previous two omnibus for the Ciaphas Cain series, as I enjoyed this book overall, despite all its flaws.

Rating out of 10: 7/10 – Not the best book out there, but not the worst. Somewhere in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment