Friday 29 October 2010

Firedrake: Nick Kyme

Firedrake: Nick Kyme

When Chaplain Elysius of the Salamanders is taken captive by Dark Eldar, he faces a fight for survival at the hands of these cruel aliens. The Firedrakes of 1st Company attempt a daring rescue mission, but much more is at stake than the Chaplain’s life. He holds the key to secrets buried beneath Mount Deathfire, secrets that could reveal the damnation – or salvation – of their home world. The Salamanders must penetrate the Port of Anguish and defeat the xenos threat there if they are to unveil the mysteries within the Tome of Fire. Meanwhile, Dak’ir battles to survive the brutal Librarian training, and in his visions liesan even darker future…
~http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Firedrake.html

Okay, here we go, and I’m back with the second instalment in the Tome of Fire Trilogy, appropriately titled Firedrake, and Tsu’gan and Dak’ir are thrown back into the action once again.

As Salamander was one of my favourite Black Library books, I had very high expectations for Firedrake, and I’m pleased to say that I got them. Kyme delivers a breathtaking page-turning novel that will leave you eagerly awaiting the ending, which will conclude in Noctrune, part three of the Trilogy.

I found Firedrake to be a great read, and not only does it bring back old characters from Salamander and also introduces a whole host of new ones, the main newbie, well, only a newbie to the Tome of Fire Trilogy, is Vulkan He’stan, and he’s just as awesome as I imagined him to be, and, not only are the characters written well, they also develop, which helps make this novel a great read.

The pacing is fantastic, not rushed, but still allows room for some great scenes, particularly where Elysius squares off against a Dark Eldar Leader, and you also get a few plot twists to keep this story interesting. Having picked up Firedrake & The First Heretic at the same time, I am glad that I read Firedrake first, as I really enjoyed the novel.

Now, unlike a few other books that I’ve read, Firedrake gives us enough description to let us imagine where the Salamanders are at, how they’re fighting and how they look, and who they’re up against.

In this novel, rather than being Iron Warriors and Orks like it was in Salamander, the enemies are Dark Eldar, and of course the Dragon Warriors, lead by Nilihan (I think that’s how you spell it, I don’t have the book on me at the moment).

Rating out of 10: 10/10, Great book and an awesome read. Fully deserves its title.

Should you buy this book? Well, If you’ve read Salamander then you defiantly should. Trust me on this, you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment